Welcome to the Health Emergency website of the Commonwealth Department of Health.
This site is designed as an information resource for the public, health authorities, the medical profession and other health experts who may be involved in responding to a national health emergency.
Health emergencies include:
- significant communicable disease outbreaks, such as an influenza pandemic;
- chemical, biological or radiological incidents, either criminal or accidental;
- mass casualty incidents, such as an earthquake or transport accident;
- any emergency where there are a significant number of people needing medical treatment which requires a coordinated national approach; or
- an emergency where Australian medical personnel are required for deployment
During health emergencies this web site will be updated to communicate situational information, important health messages, and other health related response arrangements.
Summer 2013 - 14 Extreme Heat AdviceNSW Health has provided some useful information pertaining to the current heatwave conditions across the country